Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-06, 09:33 AM
Bust

BBP Points: 10
Default Fighting against your own will

Hi all,

I'm new and this is my first post I'm from Austria/Europe and my English may be not that good, just to warn you in advance

I play online poker for a few months now, but never seriously just for fun and to learn and get more experience.
I'm playing a lot of Cash games lately on Poker4Ever, I deposited 40$ and got it up to about 150$ after a few days of playing. I only play 10 player 0.10$/0.20$ No Limit tables because I feel most comfortable on those.

Over the last days I got back to about 50$ because I couldn't resist calling/raising with good hands. That may sound weired, but I always lost when I knew that I would lose, because I tried to read the other player and set him/her on a hand, and then after turn and river the other player would have a better hand according my read. Of course, nearly every time my read was correctly and I lost.

Just one example: I'm holding AQ offsuit, middle position. Two players before me call the BB, i raise 4x BB, the next player (loose) took a lot of time to think and called, all others folded. The flop came Ah,Qh,2c. I bet half of the pot, he raised to pot and I called. At this time I set him on suited connectors in heart giving him the flush draw. Turn came 3h and according to my read he had the flush. I decided to check and see what he was doing. He bet pot and I had a hard time thinking. I decided that this may be a possible bluff because of the high bet. I called, which took me all in and of course he had 9h,10h. River brought no A or Q so this was it for me.I just couldn't resist calling although I knew it would cost me everything.

I guess I just played it wrong there, but it's such a hard thing not to call. Should I have reraised after the flop?

Maybe you guys have experienced the same problem and have some tips for me how to avoid such situations.
Old 08-31-06, 07:26 PM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 243

i don't play a lot of cash games. to be honest, i didn't played once in last month. It is only because i made same mistakes like you, couldn't resist of calling with good hands, too much pressure on high stakes, and too many "idiots" playing on low stakes outdrawing me almost every good pot

you were heads-up, you floped monster 2 pairs there, knowing the opponent as loose and calling station. I don't know if you played it good or bad there, but against that kind of opponents i think you would be called with your all-in re-raise.

personally it's kind of opinion, you call when you want to trap somebody into pot letting him to lead the hand he can't win. when i'm playing against "idiots" i'm scared of everything.. (he could have 3J suited, 10J suited, KQ .. everything). i think i would move allin there, because i would like to take the pot there and every other card can scare me (J,10,K and any heart). But as i said i don't have too much experiences in cash games so maybe my answer here is not correct.

and, when you're playing against calling stations and loose players, there is no chance to avoid this kind of situation. When they see flush or str8 draw(gutshot or open-ended, doesn't matter), they think they have won pot there, and they would call any bets and re-raises. that's only my opinion.

welcome here, i wish you great time!
Old 09-01-06, 02:33 PM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to elon05

You can't really feel bad about your play because you played the hand pretty well. The guy you were up against was an idiot for calling a raise preflop of 4x the BB with 9 10 suited. That is a marginal hand that defenitely is not worthy of a call of 4x the BB.
Old 09-01-06, 06:14 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 258

I will call once 4BB in a while with suited connectors to change up my play and keep the table off-balance. A straight on the flop can be very well disguised and pay off very well. You can also use it in late position to semi-bluff and win a pot with a drawing hand.
Old 09-01-06, 07:01 PM
Chip Leader

i will call 4bb with 910 suited in multi-way pot (4 or more players) when i put them on high pockets and high drawing hands.. in headsup on cash game and MTT it isn't a good hand for me..
Old 09-02-06, 03:36 PM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elon05 View Post
You can't really feel bad about your play because you played the hand pretty well. The guy you were up against was an idiot for calling a raise preflop of 4x the BB with 9 10 suited. That is a marginal hand that defenitely is not worthy of a call of 4x the BB.

i must not agree..9 10 suited is a powerfull hand...any suited connector is a powerfull hand.
Old 09-02-06, 10:47 PM
Bust

BBP Points: 0

i've got the exact same problem as you. sometimes i'll even get a great read on someone and just want to see if i'm right or not--end up losing loads like that.
Old 09-03-06, 08:47 PM
Chip Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by godlikev View Post
i must not agree..9 10 suited is a powerfull hand...any suited connector is a powerfull hand.

yes it is.. but i don't like to call big raise with suited connectors in dry pot. if i know i'm against an overpair, it's just not worth calling big raises in heads-up.