Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-06, 10:26 PM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 0
Default Limit...

I have exactly the same problem with Limit. I learned to play the game playing Limit, because I thought that would teach me the skills I needed to understand what hands to plays with, how to bet them etc -- and they did. Limit teaches you disciplined betting and the tight/aggressive style... or else it drains your bankroll (good incentive)!

But once I tried No Limit, which is also the game I play live, I was hooked - the reads, bluffs, and mathematics of it (you can basically choose any pot odds that you'd like your opponent to face)!

I don't think Limit is bad, but I tend to play at fairly low stakes and at those levels I honestly find it hard to consistently build a bankroll as I find the mob always seems to call to the river! Maybe the answer lies in moving up in stakes, but then of course there are the other issues above...
Old 01-15-06, 04:56 PM
Bust

Default hey

How can you say limit is the purest form of holdem???!!!!!! thats just awful. In holdem you should be able to bet your hole cards. If you get pocket aces in NL you have a good chance of winning but in limit with atleast 5 people at the table calling ur raise you are most likely going to lose with AA. I can see playing pot limit... atleast you can bet a good amount on the flop
Old 01-15-06, 04:59 PM
Bust

I just realized what you said about playing limit.... umm how can you be aggressive in limit? please explain that to me with 25 cent 50 limit lets say what is being aggressive? since you can only bet one amount
Old 01-15-06, 05:05 PM
Short Stack

You're right, it's pretty hard to be incrementally more aggressive with AA than you would be with, say, JJ or AK...
Old 01-23-06, 09:48 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 258

I think Limit is more fun and profitable overall. So many Donkeys chasing to the river. In a live $2-$4 game, I had AKs on the button, raised and got three callers, then flopped the nut flush. The SB bet and everyone called including myself, because I wanted to raise on the Turn, which I did. Then everyone checked to me on the River, which I bet and they all called. I won a $72 pot and was congratulated on "nice cards". No one clued in on what my simple basic low limit strategy. No one flinched or fussed about losing almost $20 each on that hand. Small bankroll, but big fun. Iceberg.
Old 02-19-06, 02:00 PM
Bust

I have to agree with big jen, I get bored waiting for the blinds to go up so you can start winning in a tourney. you can't bluff early because it doesn't cost much to call someone regardless of the bet.
I think I will stick to my no limit tourney's.
Old 02-19-06, 10:58 PM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

Honestly, I can't stand limit poker. It completely takes out some of the aspects of the game that are great. 1st off, it seems like it takes forever and you have to be really lucky and get good hands because you can't really bluff. I just don't like the game.
Old 02-20-06, 07:30 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen

When you say you can't bluff do you mean in micro/low limit? I understand that, you're not going to get someone off their hand for a quarter more, just like low NL games. If you play higher limit then you see better play and even bluffing. Plus when you play for low amounts of money most people will say it's just for fun, since you can't make a living playing .25/.50, so they play every hand all the way through.
Old 11-05-06, 05:49 PM
Bust

BBP Points: 41

The thing about limit is, if you like to see what someones has by not going allin thats what you play. You will get bluffed a lot more in NL hold'em than in limit hold'em because the around only betting 2x Big blind, so if you like to see the cards your opponent has, play limit holdem!
Old 11-13-06, 01:57 PM
Bust

BBP Points: 52
Default limited

very frustrating to me. i like the ability to manipulate the pot there by changing the pot odds. will stop everthing but a donkey.