Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Hand Analysis
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-05, 11:19 AM

BBP Points: 67
Send a message via MSN to BBP Guru
Default How would you play this hand?

In a $20 No-Limit 9 seated SnG tourney. It's quite early into the tournament when you are dealt
You call from UTG, and you get 2 more callers before a raiser. The raiser makes it 3xBB. BB calls. You call and so does the other 2 after you. So, 5 people playing this hand.

Flop comes

Its your turn to act. What do you do?
Old 09-13-05, 12:45 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 0

That's a tough call.....Personally, i think i would check it to the raiser. If he (and everyone else) decides to check, maybe you hit your straight.

If he comes in for a medium sized bet, i would come over the top with a relatively large raise, to see how good he feels about his hand.

However, if he comes out guns ablazing and bets really big, or even all-in, i would be much more cautious. While he could be on a draw, you aren't going to get him out of this pot. If everyone else folds, i would consider calling, but if he gets a caller ahead of you, i'm out of there.

Tough play though. Could go many directions
Old 09-16-05, 07:20 PM
Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBP Guru
In a $20 No-Limit 9 seated SnG tourney. It's quite early into the tournament when you are dealt
You call from UTG, and you get 2 more callers before a raiser. The raiser makes it 3xBB. BB calls. You call and so does the other 2 after you. So, 5 people playing this hand.

Flop comes

Its your turn to act. What do you do?

It's probably best not to even get yourself involved in a situation like this early in the tournament, when you can wait for much more favorable circumstances than 6-6 UTG without the blinds eating you alive. But, assuming you've decided to make the play, is think a check is out of the question. Checking here is dangerous. You need to lead out here, for three reasons:

1) You have no idea where you stand right now. Right now you're behind any pocket pair except 2-2, but there's also a reasonable range of hands your opponents could be holding that are behind your pocket sixes. It's hard to narrow that range any without raising, and right now you need information about where you stand in order to make better decisions.

2) If you have the best hand right now and you let someone draw out on you for free with a hand like A-K of spades, you've sacrificed your advantage. Making him pay for that draw when you're ahead is important even if your lead is slim.

3) There are some occasions - not many, but some - where a bet will win you the pot right now, and that's not a bad result at all.

The matter of how much to bet is the other part of the question. With 5 players in at 3 BB apiece, that means the pot is 15 BB right now. I'd lead out for about 6 or 7 BB - a little over 1/3 of the pot - and be prepared to let the hand go cheaply if it's becomes obvious this is going to be a big pot I don't want to play with a marginal holding like 6-6.
Old 09-17-05, 10:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72

Did Jason say he wouldn't play a pair of sixes early in a tournament?? LIES!!
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 09-18-05, 11:58 AM
Short Stack

I pretty much agree with Jason. Checking isn't likely to gain you information. The raiser will probably make a continuation bet, which tells you little or nothing. Counting on the size of the person's bet to tell you what to do is only likely to work if you have a good read from previous experience.
Old 01-15-06, 01:44 PM
Bubble

wow ... thats one of the toughest situations you'll probly ever see besides folding KK preflop. You have to check it. Someone most likely has a higher PP. If the bet isnt ridiculously big then you call it and look for your straight. If you dont get it then get out. I think thats what id most likely do there but it also depends on your chip stack vs everyone elses
Old 09-27-07, 05:12 AM
Bust

BBP Points: 6

i think best thin is definitely to check.
Old 01-04-09, 04:03 AM
Bust

BBP Points: 35

check it first

« All in??? | - »